The guitar pick, or plectrum, might seem like a simple tool, but its influence on your playing style and sound is undeniable. Mastering the art of holding it can drastically improve your technique.
Why the Correct Grip Matters:
Holding the pick correctly ensures:
- Clearer strumming and picking
- Greater control over dynamics
- Reduced hand fatigue during prolonged sessions
Steps to Properly Hold a Guitar Pick:
- Relaxed Hand: Start with your hand in a relaxed position, as if you were about to shake someones hand.
- Position the Pick: Place the pick on the index finger’s side, with its pointy end facing away from the fingertip.
- Secure with Thumb: Gently secure the pick by resting your thumb on top of it. The pointed end should protrude slightly from the side of the thumb.
Tips for Mastery:
- The grip should be firm yet relaxed. Over-gripping can affect playability.
- Adjust the amount of pick exposed to find what’s comfortable for your playing style.
- Experiment with different pick thicknesses to see what suits you best.
If you need tips on which guitar tip to buy check out this awesome article at Guitar World